Beidel Printing House (BPH) was established in 1917 with the present owners taking over operations in 1975. The expansion continued in 1999 with the acquisition of an established printing firm in Carlisle, allowing us to serve customers throughout the entire central Pennsylvania area. In 2002, the acquisition of Fortney Packaging, Inc. enabled BPH to expand our established capacities and increase the manufacturing of boxes and food packaging throughout the Mid-Atlantic region.
The original Beidel printing shop was moved from North Earl Street to West Burd Street in Shippensburg where it served as the basis of operations for over 30 years. Eventually needing more room to expand and grow, BPH acquired the former Beistle Co. building on South Fayette Street and has since relocated all its printing operations and customer service offices there.
George was one of two sons born to Charles W. and Josephine Musgrave Beidel on December 12, 1869. On May 27, 1890, he married Emma Geneva Hancock. They had two sons and four daughters. George operated a barbershop in Shippensburg for about 35 years. In 1917, he established a small print shop on North Earl Street in Shippensburg, Pennsylvania. On November 24, 1923, George suffered a heart attack and died while riding the train from Chambersburg to Shippensburg. He was 53 years of age and was survived by his wife, one son, four daughters, five grandchildren, his father and stepmother, one brother, four stepbrothers, and one stepsister. He was buried in Spring Hill Cemetery, Shippensburg, Pennsylvania.
Harold was the fourth and only son of George and Emma Hancock Beidel, born December 28, 1895 in Shippensburg, Pennsylvania. He married Florence Daugherty. After being manager of the Trimmer's 5 and 10 Cent stores in Mechanicsburg and Shippensburg, he joined his father in the Beidel Printing Shop of Shippensburg. After the death of his father, he became the owner and operator until his death in 1950. He was a member of the Emmanuel Lutheran Church of Upper Strasburg, of the Patriotic Order of the Sons of America, Camp 645 of Orrstown, F. & A.M. No. 262, Orrstown, and Independent Order of Odd Fellows of Upper Strasburg. He died August 5, 1950, leaving his wife Florence and two sisters, Mrs. Nelle Doney of Millersburg and Mrs. Margaret (William) Glass of Washington, D.C.